We will start a five-week series this weekend (Aug. 7 & 9) simply called "Prayer." I have found that when engaging any weekend/worship series that my learning experience is enhanced when supported by additional content. Specifically I am speaking of books on the subject matter and when dealing with subject of prayer there is more than enough material. If anything we might need help to narrow down the search. So here is my list of books that I will reading during this series and some of the best books on prayer I have read in the past.
To be read during the next month to enhance my learning during the Prayer series.
- The Only Necessary Thing by Henri Nouwen
- Prayer: Does it Make Any Difference by Philip Yancey
- Dear Jesus: Seeking His Light in Our Life by Sarah Young
I do not want to overwhelm you with a long a list so here are some of favorite on the subject with a one sentence commentary.
- To Busy Not to Pray by Bill Hybels -- most books on prayer are written by those with a contemplative pathway -- here is a great book written by one with an activistic/bias for action pathway.
- The Papa Prayer: The Prayer You've Never Prayed by Larry Crabb -- anything Larry Crabb writes on he brings an honest fresh perspective too -- this one did it for me regarding prayer.
- Hearing God by Dallas Willard -- this was possibly the most helpful book on the part of prayer we tend to neglect the most -- listening.
- The Complete Works of E.M. Bounds -- his writing on prayer were fundamental in my growth process when I firt became a Christian.
- Spiritual Direction by Henri Nouwen -- I just read this last month and though a not a book specifically on prayer his few chapters on prayer are some of the best thoughts on the subject matter.
- The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence -- a classic on understanding what it means to live in God's presence moment by moment.
So I hope this helps. Please tell me by commenting any books on prayer that you have read in the past that was really helpful or books you will be reading during the series.